Thursday, April 23, 2009

Running hot and cold.

Literally, hot and cold. The weather (75 on Mon, 45 today), me (hot flash city), Troy's work, yeesh. I like rolley-coasters, but right now some steady would be good.
Troy is once again in flux with his employees, which is why I refer to his work-it will get better, but right now he's dealing with trying to fill empty positions, people out on vacation, and not being able to get his bankers to reach their sales goals (for two reasons, not enough bankers and no help from him because he's busy interviewing bankers). So while this week is lousy, next week ought to be a little better.
As for the weather, I really wish Ma Nature would throw us a bone! We had such a great time Sun-Tues when it was so nice out-I was able to relax on the deck while the kids re-discovered the yard, and we even did a little weed-pulling and pruning. Our Magnolia tree finally bloomed in all its pink and white glory, we were even able to fill up a kiddie pool for a little splashing. Yesterday and today we're back to cold wet icky-yucks, but the kids still want to go out and play in the pool. Common, mom, we did it the other day!! But one way or the other winter will have to finally give up its hold and we'll be able to get back outside--to a yard now overrun with weeds and muck because they keep getting growth spurts from the sporadic warm days but then it's too wet to get them pulled!! At least we won't be lazy!
As for me, I' m plugging along, trying to deal with the unexpected bumps this pregnancy keeps tossing at me. I'll say it again, every pregnancy is different-one should not assume one knows it all just because one has done it before. And even though I know this, I still keep blazing my indigence every time something I've not experienced pops up. At least it keeps me learning. This week the lesson is Anemia: How To Survive the Day With Two Young Children, a House Full of Chores, and No Energy.
Yes, unfortunately my last blood test proved what we'd been anticipating but trying to prevent-I have developed anemia, a condition I've never even come close to in the past and didn't know a lot about. It came as a surprise mainly because I've always been told it makes you tired all the time, which I haven' t been--up until a couple weeks ago I would have said I felt just great, until I identified what was going on (and realized it was getting progressively worse-a few weeks ago I felt much less icky than I do now). I'm not constantly tired, but will, regardless of what I'm doing, suddenly experience a "crash" where I want nothing more than to lie down and sleep. I get light-headed and my thoughts get foggy, I become very short-of-breath and have to stop what I'm doing until it passes-anywhere from 10 min to an hour. Then I feel fine again. Yes, I'm consuming tons of iron, and yes I will continue to increase the amount, but I may not feel a difference for quite some time. We're hoping I will. I'll have another blood test in a month, and depending on how it reads (it will show improvement, I am certain), we will then plan accordingly for any changes that need to be made to our birth plan. The worst we're anticipating is that I'd need a shot of Pitocin (an artificial hormone that will cause my uterus to contract harder) immediately after the baby is born. This is a very effective way to reduce blood loss and help me recover faster. I absolutely hate Pitocin, but if it comes to a choice between that and a monitored hospital birth, I'll certainly choose the Pit. But really this is not a complication that should cause much concern, it is easy to manage in terms of the birth and postpartum, it just sucks right now when there's so much I want to be doing and can't.
The baby is doing great, unbelievably active and never content in any one position. At our last check on Monday the baby had finally found a head-down position (which we need everyone to knock on wood for so it sticks) and Garrett and Morgan got to attack me with stethoscopes in an attempt to hear the baby's real heart sounds, rather than the electronic "woosh" (Morgan proclaimed it a train) of the Doppler. Neither of them heard anything (this may have to do with Morgan putting the scope on my elbow), but they had a ball trying. We just love how involved the midwives make them feel, even if their exuberance sometimes prolongs our appointments!
The upstairs project is coming along (hot on the weekends, cold otherwise), Troy has the drywall well underway and we're still optimistic it'll be done and ready for its new inhabitants by the time the baby comes. At least, I hope so--Troy might refuse to let me give birth otherwise!!
So while there is much flux and some challenges, we're making progress towards great, exciting things. Life is good.

No comments: