Thursday, February 19, 2009

Things I Love....

In honor of last weekend's V-Day festivities, here is a sampling of things I love:
  1. My husband. I know, cheesy and predictable, but it's true. While on your average day he behaves very much like an average man, he always (usually) seems to know when I need something extra--like coming home from a 22 hour birth to a plate of freshly made waffles, letting me sleep in on the weekends, and (even though I told him no gifts because I hadn't been able to go out and get him anything) bringing me roses last weekend. He is awesome with our children, and fell asleep last night with his hand on my belly (the baby was flopping around like a beached trout). And while he may drive me crazy on occasion, he really makes an effort not to (we're still working on the whole him putting his shoes away situation, but I'm optimistic).
  2. My kids. Today they made me crazy. Morgan was hysterical because her pants didn't fit, as they were on backwards, but refused to turn them around. Garrett refused to eat his breakfast because he got punished for not eating his breakfast. We went out shopping and they were running around in circles like lunatics. I wanted to string them from the ceiling. But this afternoon, after their naps, they'll climb onto the couch and snuggle with me, bringing hugs and kisses and all the joys of being a mother. They take care of me as much as I take care of them. And Morgan just drew me a picture of an apathetic face (straight line mouth).
  3. Lemon curd. Mmmmmmm. Trader Joe's has started carrying it, in cute little jars claiming English import--but I don't care where it's from. I could eat that gloriousness straight off the spoon.
  4. Feeling my babies move inside me. Even if the movement is uncomfortable. I love it. I feel like I can tell how the baby is feeling.
  5. Soaking in a bath. I'm a girl, what can I say. I do not enjoy washing in said bath-I want to lay in it until it's too cool, then get out. No work.
  6. Food. Especially if I cooked it and it came out really good. I made brie and Gorgonzola stuffed, prosciutto wrapped chicken breasts with roasted balsamic asparagus and seasoned roasted fingerling potatoes for V-day dinner, and it rocked. I don't even like asparagus. Yummy yummy food.
  7. My people. As we all age and become more entrenched in our own lives, we aren't as connected as we once were, but we keep each other near as much as we can and I wouldn't be myself without them. I love watching our children play together, and the plethora of memories from all of our many life experiences. No matter where I go, I always have my people.
  8. Unpasteurized dairy products. Not only are they healthier, but fantastically creamy and delicious.
  9. Being a doula. It amazes me every time I do it--these people are inviting me to be a part of their lives as they change in the most dramatic way, when they are at their most vulnerable, their most raw. It is never less than extraordinary.
  10. Digging in dirt. With my hands. Preferably warm dirt.

No comments: