Friday, January 16, 2009

Additional proof of my children's cuteness.

Morgan has this endearing habit of letting us know when something is "doing" a "bad thing" to her--be it her brother, the cats, her toys, her blankets, the wind (it blows her hair), etc. She screams. Bloody murder. It's adorable. So I have been working with her to, instead of screaming (as sweet as it is), say, "Mommy, I have a problem!" We used this technique with Garrett when he was younger and it worked out swimmingly. At first she had no interest--apparently it did not adequetly convey her torment and frustration. But lately she has been trying, though her wording is a little off--here is an example from the other night:

"Mommy, I NEED A PROBEM!!"
"What honey? You need a problem or you have a problem? What's your problem?"
"I NEED A PROBLEM!!!"
"What is it? What's the problem?"
"I NEED A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!"
(M begins running like crazy all over the house)
"Honey, what are you doing?"
"I'm trying to find a problem!!"

Garrett in the meantime is obsessed with my memories. He is constantly asking me if I remember things, some obscure, some surprisingly accurate:

"Mommy, do you remember the time I grabbed that bee and got stung?"
"Mommy, do you remember the time you were driving the car?"
"Mommy, do you remember the time I was 4?"

I can't remember the most specific ones, which is driving me crazy as he asks me about stuff that happened when he was two and three in remarkable detail, but here is my very favorite:

"Mommy, do you remember the first morning?"
"The first morning of what, honey?"
(Pause while he thinks)
"The first morning of days."
. . .
"No honey, I wasn't alive yet. That was a really, really long time ago."
"Oh."
(minutes later, after quiet contemplation)
"Do you remember when you used to be dead?"
"WHAT?!?!?"
"When you weren't alive yet."
"Ohhhhh, well honey, I wasn't dead, I just hadn't been born yet--I didn't exist. You have to be born and be alive before you die."
"Oh, ok. You weren't born yet at the first morning."
"No honey, I'm not that old."
"Oh. What about Daddy?"

No comments: