Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Fun of Funder

We had a tremendous thunder storm roll through Monday afternoon (what is with all the electrical storms this summer?). Really tremendous, like Hollywood storms-never-really-sound-like-that tremendous. Woke both kids up from their naps. They were in seperate rooms, as napping together is currently an unsuccessful endeavor, and M woke first-I went to her (she's still in her crib, much to her dismay-when we've let her try sleeping in G's bed, we eventually hear her knocking on the door as their knob is too high for her to reach), got her up, and laid down in G's bed with her to see if I could lull her back to sleep. No luck. Every time the thunder would rumble, she'd curl in to me, quivering-I assured her all was fine and all that, but she often chooses no to believe me. She finally asked what the noise was, and I told her it was thunder up in the clouds. "Oh, it's funder?" "Yes, thunder." "Oh, it's jus funder. It's funder." G joined us a few minutes later, and was reassured, "Buh-buh, that's funder. It's only funder. It's ok, it's funder."
I couldn't get them to relax, and as it was daylight it wouldn't be any fun sitting in a window to watch (as we normally would), so to try and get them to relax about the whole thing we geared up Seattle style (no umbrellas) and headed out into some of the heaviest rain I've ever seen. Our street (on a hill) was nearlya rushing river, much to the kids' delight as they ran up and down it, racing leaf boats to the bottom.
It was during this hour of soaking-wet craziness that I was forced to come to grips with my illness. What drivers and passers-by must have thought, seeing me and my kids in the pouring rain--this is what I imagine them saying to themselves, "That horrible woman, making her children get soaking wet just so she can edge her lawn." I couldn't help it. I was outside, the edger was just leaning there, we always have so much yardwork to do, I just couldn't help it. Plus the ground is really soft when it's wet. I may need to enter some sort of program. At least they weren't worried about the "funder" anymore.

No comments: